Saturday, June 6, 2009

Water Off a Rock (file under I’m a Duck… Quack Quack)

So the past couple of days have been strenuous. Thursday was a busy night and saw me so busy that from 6 until 8:30 pm my board was never clear. Once it was clear I breathed a sigh of relief and thought to myself how dreadfully hot it was going to be in July there.

Wednesday was filled with aggravation and a schizophrenic approach to the Grill. I wasn’t open, I was open, I wasn’t open. We decided, or so I thought, how we were going to deal with it by making food indoors for people indoors and outdoor people outdoors. But of course, schizophrenia kicked in and no one was either willing or able to remember what we had decided. As such I went from nothing set up to set up in about twelve minutes and four orders on the board. To say that I was angry would be an understatement.

Being angry and cooking is not a good place to be. I believe that it affects the food and the way that you deliver it. So on Thursday, after my first rush, Sous Chef R came out and we spoke about what was going on. I explained that I was frustrated by the “institutional” schizophrenia and the disconnect between the front of house and back of house. As our conversation ended he said that The Club would drive you mad if you let it. So I asked him how he deals with it.

He explained that you have to let it just drop off your back. Like water off a rock. I thought about what he said for a minute and responded by saying. Great, I’m a duck. QUACK QUACK.

It was a good thing he gave me that as a resource because on Friday morning I had to deal with some stress and thought to myself, water off a rock, water off a rock. By the time Friday night had come around I was now QUACK QUACKING at anything that deserved it.

It makes me smile and giggle to know that I can instantly change my mental state by something as simple as quacking.

I am going to write much more tomorrow but wanted to update everyone on this week.

The Earl of Beaconsfield once said; “The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.”

Are you dreaming big and inspired?

A la prochaine

SDM

No comments: